In the summer
of 1866 A. G. Hammond of Hartford, Conn.,
purchased two hundred acres of land, on sections
23 & 24 of James M. Kelsey, and engaged J. B.
P. Day to build a store building and a hotel the
following spring. However, during the winter Mr.
Hammond died and Messrs. Day & Co. (F. A.
& J. B. P.) purchased the land and lumber, and
during the summer of 1867 built the store and
dwelling combined which was the Old Castana
headquarters. The building was completed by July
4, and a big crowd gathered there... A first-class
violinist traveling west in company with S.C.
Hoadley could play any tune and the party held out
post office was established September 11, 1865,
with A. J. Hathaway as Postmaster. It was moved to
the store in 1867 and F. L. Day appointed
Postmaster, who was succeeded in 1869 by F. A.
Day. In 1872 there were the following businesses
in Old Castana; a blacksmith shop, two stores, and
an agricultural implement depot of Penn Bros.
& Co. Also mentioned is a Methodist parsonage
with Hathaway's mill close by.
baseball club was organized here by Geo. W. Penn
in 1872. On July 4, 1873 the "Grange" had a big
gathering here. A six-pound cannon was brought for
the occasion and the day opened big with a heavy
shower about 1 O'clock and broke up the
with the A. G. Hammond purchase, the American
Emigrant Company had made a donation to the county
of $2,000 for school purposes and the board of
supervisors selected the bench on section 23, as a
site for an academy. The movement at this point
awoke the jealousy of parties interested in
Belvidere and other points and the result was the
abandonment of the whole matter and the funds
diverted to other projects.
one of Monona County's most enterprising towns,
located near the center of the county in Kennebec
Township, on land purchased by the Chicago &
Northwestern Railroad Company by the Western Town
Lot Company in the early summer of 1886, the
survey being completed by July 15, the deed of
dedication and the platt bearing the date of July
24, and filed for record July 29, 1886. The town
is a distance of about 12 miles from Onawa, the
county seat, and about 50 miles from Sioux City,
the nearest jobbing point.
building erected was the warehouse of Day &
Co., just back of their store. This was put up in
July, 1886. It is located on the rear of lot 1,
block 6, and was put up by J. B. P. Day. The
railroad track was laid past the depot grounds